Ants are very important for the environment. They maintain a balance in the nature, as they decompose some dead animals and eat several insect types. This is the reason that may convince you to don’t kill them. We know they can be annoying, but we bet that there are other options too. In this article, we are going to teach you how to get rid of ants. Let’s protect the nature as much as we can!
Before we can continue, please make sure that you have knowledge and you are able to recognize ants. If not, there is no problem. Just read our article about ants and you will become an expert.
Ready? Now we can reveal you the tricks that will keep ants at bay.
Get Rid of Ants Naturally
1. Keeping The House Clean
The first defense method is keeping the house as clean as possible. The whole family must respect the rules:
- Don’t leave any dirty dishes in the sink.
- Keep the food covered.
- Don’t let any crumbs on the floor, after eating.
- Take out the trash every single day.
What a fragrance! But wait, we are using it for other reasons. This plant is a great ant deterrent. Take some sachets and fell them with dried lavender. Another option is to use lavender essential oil. Dip cotton balls in it and then place them all over you house. Make sure to insist on prone ant areas.
Another efficient remedy against ants is vinegar! Just use it as a cleaning solution for the floor. Make a mixture with vinegar and water and use it. Or, if you discover the nest, pour white vinegar directly into it. Though, this is likely to kill the ants, not only repel them.
I know that you probably laughed when you saw this. But you must try it, believe me! Just draw a line around your house. Ants won’t trespass it! It seems that ants perceive it as a barrier and they simply are not capable of crossing it. It sounds great, right?
The mint aroma keeps ants away. You can buy some peppermint essential oil and soak some cotton balls in it. Then place them where needed. Another trick is to make a 1:1 mixture of peppermint oil and water. Now spray around and you will enjoy both the results and the fresh smell.
Cinnamon is also a good deterrent when it comes to ants. Yep, it is right! Just sprinkle cinnamon powder on the areas where you have noticed ants. This will keep the ants at distance. Then again, you can use cinnamon essential oil. Make a spray solution and apply it around doors, window frames and other areas where you see them.
Ants simply hate cucumbers! Why not to use this trick? All you need to do is to slice up some cucumbers. Then take the slices and place them where you have seen ants.
8. Cayenne Pepper
You can either sprinkle it around the ant hill, or around entry points in your house. This a very efficient remedy against the little pests in discussion.
9. Fresh Garlic
This is not only very helpful to keep you healthy! Garlic is also an awesome ant repellent. Peel some garlic cloves and place them where needed. In order to boost the effect, you can also crash the cloves, to reveal the odor. Ants will run away!
10. Diatomaceous Earth
You need to know that this kills them. So it is not just an ant deterrent. DE contains fossilised remains of aquatic microorganisms. Firstly, it is better to find out from where the ants come. Then sprinkle this magical powder around the place. It will stick to their exoskeleton and will dehydrate them. You can buy DE also on Amazon, click here.
11. Citrus Power
Another good repellent is citrus. This is because citrus contains D-limonene, which successfully kills ants. So, all you need to do is save some citrus peels and let them dry out. The next step is to pulse them in a food processor till you get a powder. Now sprinkle all around!
12. Lemon Juice
Mix some fresh lemon juice with water. Spray along! This acts as an ant deterrent. Again, this is due to the D-limonene from the lemon.
13. Tea Tree Oil
This is natural method to get rid of ants, but it is also toxic. So, we don’t recommend to use it around children or pets. Still, it is efficient against ants. So, you need to make a mixture of tea tree essential oil and water. Pour the solution into a spray bottle. Now spray the areas where you have seen ants.
14. Coffee Grounds
Don’t throw used coffee grounds into the recycle bin! Instead of it, use it as an ant repellent. It works both indoors and outdoors. The ant workers won’t find the way back to your house, as they will get confused by the coffee scent. Sprinkle it where needed! Warning- it also keeps cats away. So take this into consideration if you are a cat owner.
This is an efficient treatment. At first, ants will consider it as food. But when they it this, it will expand and ants will die. This remedy is safe for your children and also for your pets.
Chemical Products vs. Ants
Tried everything above and the colony is still marching through your house? You need to change the strategy! It’s time to use some powerful chemicals to solve the problem for good. The good news is that we also have a list with some great organic products for you. Of course, you have to be careful and use all of them properly.
1. Go-Green 2 in 1 Ant & Roach Killer AND Repellent: This is eco-friendly and it is so powerful that kills even eggs, nymphs and adults. It is safe to use around pets and children! You can buy this on Amazon by following this link.
2. Natural Oust Organic Home Pest Control Spray: This organic formula is just a deterrent (it doesn’t kill the insects). It has powerful effects both ooutside and inside your house. If you want to protect the environment and buy it, click here.
1. Bonide Chemical Number-1 Ant Killer Granules: It acts quickly and controls ants and other home invaders too. You can use this outdoor, to create a barrier that will prevent ants from entering into your home. It is also a long-lasting formula. Check this out on Amazon, here is the link.
2. TERRO 16 oz. Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Aerosol Spray: This kills ants on contact and it can be also applied into crevices. It can be used both indoors and outdoors. You can purchase the product on Amazon, click here.
3. Combat Max, Ant Killing Gel: The gel is easy to use for everyone. It leaves almost no mess and provides quick effects. You will see results in about 3 to 5 days. You can see more details and buy it on Amazon, on this link.
- You can erase ant trails, to prevent them coming again in your house. How does it work? Well, ants leave a trail of pheromones in order to help other ants find the food source they discovered. If you wash out the trail, they will not be able to visit you. It is better to wipe it out using some soapy water.
- During the year, ants’ tastes change. In the spring they normally prefer protein, while in the summer they go for sweets of fatty foods. So, if you know this, it will help you prepare or buy the suitable baits for ants.
- When you manage to get rid of these pests, you also must start respecting prevention rules. Check for trees, shrugs or bushes that brush your roof or siding. If it is the case, then trim them and this is how you will cut a bridge ants use to reach your place.
- Another important tip to keep ants at distance is to stock firewood properly. Don’t pile firewood next to your house-not for all tea in China!
- Also, you need to spray a barrier against ants. After you have fixed all the cracks and crevices, then apply an insecticide around entry points. The most efficient substances ar permethrin and bifenthrin, so search the insecticides that contain one of them. Spray windows and doors till they get wet. After they get dry, the film the insecticide create has a long-lasting effect. Don’t use tthis while using baits. You will annihilate one another.
Persevere and apply these methods regularly and your problem will be soon gone. You must be aware of the fact that the ants will not disappear over night. You need to be patient and do your job thoroughly. When you choose to manage the pest control by yourself, you have to be aware of the risks too. Moreover, please make sure to carefully read the instructions on the products you use! Now that you know everything about how to get rid of ants, go and get them!